Tuesday, October 7, 2014

DON'T BREAK THE BANK

Today is my fifth post in a 31 days series about Fashion & Beauty 101.

It's not a need, it's a want:

I love shopping. Obviously. But choosing a new top over groceries just can't happen everyday right? *Lol with me* Here is my struggle... I buy new clothes and wear them once. And all of the sudden they've lost their appeal because I mean "I've already posted an Insta in that dress so I clearly can't wear it again." ((Yes. This is my real, skewed, and way too materialistic mindset. Typing these thoughts makes me cringe). Here's the thing though, I know I'm not the only one! So I had to come up with a plan for myself, to keep myself from overspending on things I don't need, and to make myself realize that clothes do not = life. 

MY RULE: I cannot buy any new item of clothing, unless I have already worn all of my most recent purchases at least twice

You'd think this is a no brainer. But no. My roomies and I would often find ourselves heading out for a sale with tags still on the clothes in our drawers. That's craziness. SO, I follow the rule and save my money.

But how do you save when it IS time to shop?:

So glad you asked. I way prefer discussing this side of shopping. Although I'm not an expert on buying the dress for less or anything, I rarely spend more than $15 on a top. Jeans and shoes I'll splurge a little, but for me splurging is $29.99. So here are a few of my suggestions: 

  • Walk through your favorite high end store that you can't afford. Make note of the trends, certain items that you really love. Then, hop on over to the Target or Forever 21 and find similar items. I'll often come home with a J. Crew closet from Old Navy. (Also, use your Pinboard!)
  • Run to the clearance rack first. When you see the sale prices it might keep you from spending more on something else in the store, and instead waiting for a better deal. 
  • Know what you're willing to spend before you walk in.
  • Also, know what your'e willing to splurge on.
  • Don't be afraid to shop online! Often the best deals are on the internet, but you run the risk of not trying it on first. Always check the return policies first. 





1 comment:

  1. Totally love you style and knowing what you spend is so helpful. I try not to spend more than $15 on tops too. I think that is such a great way to look at it!

    ReplyDelete